- My paper "Human Dignity in Kant: 'Birth of Man' and the Codification of the Self" has been accepted for the Journal Studies in Law, Politics & Society
- Indeed, along with Stephen Riley, I am preparing a special issue on "Human Dignity: Alternative Histories" for this Journal (publication by the end of 2020)
- I have published the Necropolitics key word in Critical Legal Thinking.
- I have sent a paper for review in French, "Survivre c'est Résister" au Brésil for the Journal, Revue des Droits de l'Homme
- I have contributed with a book Chapter on "Political Struggles and Tropical Necropolitics. The Rise (and Fall) of 'Authoritarian Dignity' in Brazil", for the upcoming monograph Dignity and Diversity, Klaus Matthis (ed.), Springer.
- I am currently working on the following papers:
- Human Dignity in the 19th century
- Necropolitics, Counterrevolution and Concealment in Brazil
- I am also working on a book proposal on Human Dignity in Latin America.
TEACHING (March-July 2020) with Zoom
Human Rights for undergraduate Law Students
Critical Theory for Ph.D students
03.04.19. I am teaching the European System of Human Rights for the Brazilian Judiciary (in Rio de Janeiro, through Zoom)
12.18.19. New article on The Conversation:
Brazil: Molecular Fascism and Necropolitics (in French).
Podcast of Critical Theory/ Center for Contemporary Critical Thought. I discuss here with Bernard Harcourt the Counterrevolution in Brazil, drawing on Michel Foucault's idea of Biopower and Achille Mbembe's notion of Necropolitics.
New entry on Necropolitics (French) in the blog of my project of research on human dignity (posted: 02.12.19)
TEACHING (August-December 2019)
I have been teaching a special course on contemporary critical French thinkers for Ph.D/Master Students. You can find here the syllabus (in Portuguese)
For undergraduate law students, I have been giving a course on human rights taking into account the proto-fascist agenda of the current Brazilian government. You can find here the syllabus (in Portuguese)
In December 2019, I have published and co-organized the following two monographs, along with colleagues of the Law School at PUC-Rio University.
- The first one, on May 68 as a Global Phenomenon
- Maio de 68 como Fenonemo Global. (w/ F. Hoffmann). Rio de Janeiro: Lumen Juris (2019).
Table of contents available here (in Portuguese). Isbn: 978-85-519-1729-9
- The second one, on Human Rights from a Critical Theory Approach
Direitos Humanos em Perspectiva: Estado de Excecao, Biopolitca e Subalternidade (w/ B. Assy & M. Bernardes). Rio de Janeiro: PUC-Rio Editora (2019). Isbn: 978-8006-288-5
I am working on my core topic, human dignity, with the following two projects :
- Along with Stephen Riley, I am preparing a special issue on "Human Dignity: Alternative Histories" for the Journal Studies in Law, Politics, and Society (publication by the end of 2020)
I am working on the following papers