Feb. 03, New paper w/ Stephen Riley 'For a Right to Health Beyond Biopolitics', Law, Culture and the Humanities open access
Jan. 12, Institute of Latin American Study - Columbia University: Reading Group: Decolonization, Neocolonialism & Human Rights video
From October 2020 to March 2021, I am at Paris Nanterre Université, Centre de Recherches et d'Etudes sur les Droits Fondamentaux (CREDOF), as a Visiting Professor. I won a competitive grant of the Brazilian funding Agency 'CAPES
December 07. Just published with Jean-François Deluchey a piece in The Conversation France on Racism in Brazil and in France
Credit: Silvio Avila/ AFP
November 23th, I organized the Webinar on the legacy of Marielle Franco (the Rio de Janeiro City Councillor who was murdered in 2018). Guests: Pâmella Passos and Amanda Mendonça.
November 16th: "Brazil in Times Of Covid-19: Right to Health, 'Bioresistances' and Solidarities, International Conference What are our Lives Worth to a Neoliberal Government? Institute For Advanced Studies, Le Studium, Tours.
Power point available here and Video
November 13th: "Necro-Counterrevolution in Brazil. Exposure and Concealment of Deaths," The 28th Annual Critical Theory Roundtable. Power point available here. I would be happy to share with you my paper. Just send me an email (see contact)
November 10th: "Construyendo Comunidades Incluyentes basadas en la Dignidad Humana", TEC de Monterrey, Centro de Reconocimiento de la Dignidad Humana
- Achille Mbembe's Necropolitics - key word entry - in Critical Legal Thinking.
- "Survivre c'est Résister". Résistances et Nécropolitiques au Brésil, Revue Internationale Sens Public, Université de Montréal, (2020)
Credit: Antonio Pele
- I am currently working on the following papers & topics:
- Right to Health
- Pandemic and Human rights
- Human Dignity in the 19th century
- Necropolitics & Counterrevolution in Brazil
- Human Dignity in Latin America.
TEACHING (March-July 2020) with Zoom
Human Rights for undergraduate Law Students
Critical Theory for Ph.D students
03.04.19. I am teaching the European System of Human Rights for the Brazilian Judiciary (in Rio de Janeiro, through Zoom)
12.18.19. New article on The Conversation:
Podcast of Critical Theory/ Center for Contemporary Critical Thought. I discuss here with Bernard Harcourt the Counterrevolution in Brazil, drawing on Michel Foucault's idea of Biopower and Achille Mbembe's notion of Necropolitics.
New entry on Necropolitics (French) in the blog of my project of research on human dignity (posted: 02.12.19)
TEACHING (August-December 2019)
I have been teaching a special course on contemporary critical French thinkers for Ph.D/Master Students. You can find here the syllabus (in Portuguese)
For undergraduate law students, I have been giving a course on human rights taking into account the proto-fascist agenda of the current Brazilian government. You can find here the syllabus (in Portuguese)
In December 2019, I have published and co-organized the following two monographs, along with colleagues of the Law School at PUC-Rio University.
- The first one, on May 68 as a Global Phenomenon
- Maio de 68 como Fenonemo Global. (w/ F. Hoffmann). Rio de Janeiro: Lumen Juris (2019).
Table of contents available here (in Portuguese). Isbn: 978-85-519-1729-9
- The second one, on Human Rights from a Critical Theory Approach
Direitos Humanos em Perspectiva: Estado de Excecao, Biopolitca e Subalternidade (w/ B. Assy & M. Bernardes). Rio de Janeiro: PUC-Rio Editora (2019). Isbn: 978-8006-288-5
I am working on my core topic, human dignity, with the following two projects :
I am working on the following papers
1) "Nécrolibéralisme et Droits Humains au Brésil" for La Revue des Droits de l'Homme (CREDOF/Paris Nanterre)
2) "Human Dignity in Kant as a Technology of the Self" a draft is available here
"Authoritarian Dignity " in Brazil: How Human Survival is a Threat to Bolsonaro Proto-Fascist Politics" for the monograph organized by Lynn Gummow and Klaus Mathis (Luzern University), Dignity and Diversity (Springer, 2020)
In October 2019 I organized three important events at PUC-Rio along with Bernard Harcourt (Columbia University) :
- A seminar on Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed (Oct., 23rd)
- A special course on Foucault, also with Jurandir Freire Costa (Oct., 24th)
- Workshop on Prisons, Education and Judicial System: Brazil & United-States (Oct. 25th) with Elaine Barbosa, Mia Ruyter, Maria Walkiria, Pamella Passos, Sandra de Souza
Nov., 15, 2019, I was invited to talk about Romania post-1989, at Paris Nanterre University (Paris), in day long seminar on 1989. Nov. 28. I have talked about Necropolitics in Brazil, at the State University of Rio de Janeiro